NOTE: This is a full archive for the Project Community: You & The World (2014) please see the main site for the most up to date information.

Surprised with the support from the crowd.

Hi everyone, it’s me :).

In this blog I want to talk about crowdfunding and crowdsourcing, these are new concepts for me. Whenever I hear the word crowndfunding I immediately think of money, money, money. It is the good way to have an amount of money in a certain time without any special commitment. If I have an idea or I want to produce a product in large number, crowdfunding will be one of the best options that I can choose. However, using crowdfunding easily to make many designers have the inclination to “go it alone” and not seek the input of other designers or end users. Why is that? In my opinion, once the designers have their ideas, their plans and everything which is necessary to make those come to life except the money they will think of monetary contributions from a large number of people, typically via the internet. They just need the money to improve, develop and produce their products by themselves. The products can be considered as the designers’ children, no parents want to share their children with other people although the others may take better care of for the children.

It does not happen in crowdsourcing. Crowdsourcing is the process of obtaining needed services, ideas, or content by soliciting contributions from a large group of people, and especially from an community. The most advantage of using crowdsoursing is bringing in mass intelligence to solve all kind of problems with affordable price or without any price. Let’s take Wikipedia as an example. Wikipedia allows a group of people to enter and communally edit bits of text. These bits of text can be viewed and edited by anyone who visits the Wikipedia. That means even I or you can come to the Wikipedia page to read what Wikipedia’s community has written. By clicking an “edit” button on an article, you are able to edit the article’s text. You can add or change anything you like in the article you are reading. Thank for that we have the biggest encyclopedia than ever before which from that we can gain a rich source of information especially the definition of anything exiting in the world. In the design field, it is no doubt that crowdsourcing is the most concerned option when you want to design something that may be simple like a logo for your class uniform or more complicated like a web page for your business but you don’t have much money to hire a professional one, don’t have time to do or don’t have any ideas . By using crowdsourcing a lot of people will work for you at anytime so you can have the best final result without taking so much time or money.

However, any coin has two sides. The disadvantages of crowdsourcing come from its advantages. The contributions of any kind of people may lead to the less credible product. Take Wikipedia as an example again. As any people can edit the text at anytime so I think that the information in Wikipedia may be flawed and its not 100% reliable.

My reflection is crowdsourcing in design should be use in the final stage of a project when designers already have the products and they use crowsourcing to get some feedback on those so that they can have more inspiration to improve and develop their products. It should not be use to generate ideas in design because if a designer has already had his/her own ideas but he/she want to use the crowdsourcing to develop that ideas it will take a lot of time for him/her to select among many different kinds of opinion also bring confusing vision of the ideas. It is an interesting idea if a designer or any person can combine using crowdsourcing and crowdfunding to build and develop a project. It will multiple the benefits because they can both use the power of the crowd in the way of gathering information and money as the same time. The important thing is when use what, I mean if we can use these options in the right way, at the right time, the vision of success is not so hard to see.

This is my blog for this week. Thank you for reading!

Posted in Community, Group 5, Students
This post was originally published at the Project Community blog: Nguyen Ho's ProjectCommunity2014
Group 5 Blogs
  1. It's fab to be 5 superrtomas.tumblr.com
  2. Larissa's ProjComm14 larissa-ide2014.tumblr.com
  3. Nguyen Ho's ProjectCommunity2014 nguyentxho.tumblr.com
  4. Ronja's Project Community IDE Reflection projectcommunityide.tumblr.com
  5. Sebastian's first ProjCom myprojectcommunities2014.tumblr.com
  6. Unbetitelt powerpeterproject.tumblr.com
Conversations
  • Paul { Love it!! Maybe you should design a folding business card too! } – Oct 31, 11:20 AM
  • Tomas { Hey Ronja, I think you did a great job on the important roles! something we should definitly use in our final advice! Great job 🙂 } – Oct 31, 11:13 AM
  • Laura { I especially like the reflection on the teamwork! } – Oct 31, 9:55 AM
  • Laura { Love your reflection on the video making! Hey, I just bought that same tea! You won't die.... glad to see you lov'in it 🙂 } – Oct 31, 9:45 AM
  • Milena { aahhh we all really feel like this I think 😀 ... maybe the teams for tiny houses can establish our own Project Communities Village above... } – Oct 30, 11:24 PM
  • »»
See all conversations...

Featuring Recent 10/2940 of Community Posts

Read more