NOTE: This is a full archive for the Project Community: You & The World (2014) please see the main site for the most up to date information.

Why communicate as a designer

Now that I am working with a real NGO and a team makes me notice how important communication is. Our NGO and Nancy give us the needed information what we need to have in order to fill in the questions that we have in order to make the product that our NGO needs. If we didnt communicate at all we might have found a solution, but it would NOT have all the options or be vaible for the client. The product has to be the product our customer could use, not us. Of course we learn from the product and make use of it ourselves. BUT the highest priority is that it will suit your client.

Now that Maarten can’t be reached, because he is busy. That makes us stuck with the problem: “Does he needs this in his product or that.” We have to think about what kind of customer he has and what kind of communication he has with them. We have to find solutions for different scenarios, which isn’t that easy.

Not only the product we making had influence on how I thought about social network. The teamwork did also a lot to me. I used to do projects at someones house and used email if we needed to share something. Since I started here in The Hague I used so many more programs to share information. Like I used to use facebook and skype just for sharing things with friends. Suddenly I see so many more options. My team comes up with ideas I wouldnt have thought of and reversed. Of course listening to others isn’t always easy when you have your own solution, but in this team we didn’t really have a problem with that. I think communication makes a small idea into a BIG plan. 

I can’t say I’m a big expert on social networks, but I learned a lot during this course. I see now how important it is to use networks as a designer. How you have to be active, promote yourself and share your progress to your client. He will see what he is missing and maybe more possibilities to improve himself and the product. 

The thing I still want to learn about communicating is that I want to be able to present myself to clients. I want to help people with my products later on, so I want to be able to communicate with them and understand them in order to do so. I want to learn how to get the most out myself and the clients to get the best results. It’s still a bit hard for me, but I’m learning! I hope in these years I will learn it bit by bit. 

I am a perfectionist and I’m proud of it! 

http://www.kristianstill.co.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/peanuts-cartoon-about-listening.gif

Posted in Community, Group 4, Students
This post was originally published at the Project Community blog: - Eline -
Group 4 Blogs
  1. - Eline - elinedekker.tumblr.com
  2. Aline's ProjComm reviews a-lmorais.tumblr.com
  3. Camila de Carvalho Mello camilamello-ide.tumblr.com
  4. Dan Alexandru Blog alexandru-dan.tumblr.com
  5. Kareem's blog kareemsblog.tumblr.com
  6. Kiki's creative world kiki2deurvorst.tumblr.com
Conversations
  • Paul { Love it!! Maybe you should design a folding business card too! } – Oct 31, 11:20 AM
  • Tomas { Hey Ronja, I think you did a great job on the important roles! something we should definitly use in our final advice! Great job 🙂 } – Oct 31, 11:13 AM
  • Laura { I especially like the reflection on the teamwork! } – Oct 31, 9:55 AM
  • Laura { Love your reflection on the video making! Hey, I just bought that same tea! You won't die.... glad to see you lov'in it 🙂 } – Oct 31, 9:45 AM
  • Milena { aahhh we all really feel like this I think 😀 ... maybe the teams for tiny houses can establish our own Project Communities Village above... } – Oct 30, 11:24 PM
  • »»
See all conversations...

Featuring Recent 10/2922 of Community Posts

Read more