NOTE: This is a full archive for the Project Community: You & The World (2014) please see the main site for the most up to date information.

Week 7 – Connect to the world

In this course, I have learned a lot about online communities and networks. They are not only a way to stay in touch with friends - what I mainly use them for. Online networks and the way you use them can be an important factor to one’s success.
I’ve mainly learned that through our work with Children of Mexico. They use their offline networks as much as they can by involving friends or parents from their children’s school. Of course this is not enough for a NGO to collect a considerable amount of money and to really change something. But just setting up a website, facebook and twitter page doesn’t change the situation significantly.
It’s not about whether you use online communities, but about how you use them. 
The content you post, how frequently you post something, if you interact with your followers or clients - those are the essential factors. And those points need to be adapted to your goals and target group. 

Online networks can connect you to the world - if you use them the right way (Source: https://www.tcd.ie/wiser/build-profile/tools/networking/iStock_000009588509XSmall.jpg)

So my design principles for using online networks are:

• Define your goal - What do you use online networks for? Promotion, sharing information, staying in touch? 
  • Define your target group - Who should your website attract? Which kind of people would be interested in your cause, who could help you gettin further?
  • Reseach on platforms - How can you reach your target group best and how can you achieve your goals? Not every platform is suitable to your needs!
  • Stay active - Regularily post content, interact with people: No one will be interested in an inactive and (seemingly?) unlovingly treated site.
  • Reflect - Which approaches were successful? How did people react? Even negative user feedback is helpful if you approach it the right way.

You see, there are a lot of things to consider if you want to use online networks. Although seeting up a facebook page or signing up at a crowdfunding site may not seem difficult or like something you can just do in your 5 minute break, you shouldn’t treat it lightly. In order to successfully use your online networks you have to dedicate a lot of time to it and thoroughly plan and reflect on your actions.

Posted in Community, Group 11, Students
This post was originally published at the Project Community blog: Project communities 2014
Group 11 Blogs
  1. Check This Out suncloudbel.tumblr.com
  2. Karolina's thoughts on Project Community 2014. kerylson.tumblr.com
  3. Open thoughts - Michael theycalledhimmichael.tumblr.com
  4. Project Communities - Jonatan S jonatansepp.tumblr.com
  5. Project communities 2014 clarissa-schmitt.tumblr.com
  6. Young Professional?! oyesunbel.tumblr.com
Screening Room

Final Projects

Course Videos

Conversations
  • Paul { Love it!! Maybe you should design a folding business card too! } – Oct 31, 11:20 AM
  • Tomas { Hey Ronja, I think you did a great job on the important roles! something we should definitly use in our final advice! Great job 🙂 } – Oct 31, 11:13 AM
  • Laura { I especially like the reflection on the teamwork! } – Oct 31, 9:55 AM
  • Laura { Love your reflection on the video making! Hey, I just bought that same tea! You won't die.... glad to see you lov'in it 🙂 } – Oct 31, 9:45 AM
  • Milena { aahhh we all really feel like this I think 😀 ... maybe the teams for tiny houses can establish our own Project Communities Village above... } – Oct 30, 11:24 PM
  • »»
See all conversations...

Featuring Recent 10/2940 of Community Posts

Read more