NOTE: This is a full archive for the Project Community: You & The World (2014) please see the main site for the most up to date information.

“Nocturnal”

I write this post after a night working on a video on After Effects even if I will publish it tomorrow morning, if I will wake up. If I don’t, tell my boyfriend I loved him and that I’m dead fighting for what I believed: that After Effects is a total, crazy SHIT!

Now, after this emblematic intro, let’s start with the real post.

"Nocturnal" is the very last post of this course. The title is inspired by the book of the Italian poet Gabriele D’Annunzio "Notturno" (eng trans: Nocturnal) that he wrote while he was temporarily blind. Well I am writing this while I am temporarily (I hope) in a catatonic state, almost dead because of the video finished (not totally) at 3 am. This is my "nocturnal".

TOOLS

Our tools for video making are Illustrator (for single pieces) and After Effects (to make them move, etc..). At the beginning everything seemed ok, normal, After Effects looked a normal software able to do everything. What I didn’t know was the timing…

With an average of 4-5 hours of work per minute it is probably the slowest tool you could ever use for video-making, even stop-motion is probably faster! Moreover even if it seems very user-friendly you can experiment terribly different results, you don’t know why, but After Effects does.

I forgot to mention other important tools: coffees and cigarettes. With an average of 7-8 coffes per day and 7-8 cigarettes I managed to finish this video without collapsing on the computer (and maybe I would fix it because it is slowly dying too).

RESULTS

Now I have a video, that is not finished yet, that I hate even if it is not that bad. We still have to put the final part with group picture and credits. Nothing special or difficult anyway. On the other hand I am completely not living without coffees or cigarettes (I know it is called addiction but it is such a bad word) and now I finished both so be careful tomorrow (today?) morning! In my apartment I had a reenactment of the Korean war with packages of American cookies, speculaas, chocolate everywhere. A chair is now in front of the sofa and I don’t remember why. Tomorrow I will take some picture.

REFLECTION

I want to use After Effects once more for Personal Branding because I don’t have time to learn another software but it will be the LAST TIME. I discovered that with Prezi it is way easier and faster! Moreover the result is definitively better. There is plenty of softwares that are actually better than After Effects, maybe somehow it is better if you really know how to use it but I don’t, I have just learned since 2 weeks what do we want to expect? 

Anyway, now I calm down and I go to sleep. I have to say that I am a bit happy. I managed to learn a new software, and I used it even if it was terrible and I produced something in two weeks. Maybe the result won’t be so perfect like if I would have used prezi or a camera or stop-motion, etc… but it is a result with a lot of effort behind so, I think it is worth something, even if only personal. 

Now I will go to sleep, I finish this project even if not in a perfect status, I am worried and a bit tired but I am also motivated to go to the end of it. I will do it.

Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
Posted in Community, Group 1, Students
This post was originally published at the Project Community blog: A road to the plain
Group 1 Blogs
  1. A road to the plain gebarbero.tumblr.com
  2. Leticia Fernandez - Project Communities 2014 ileticiaproject.tumblr.com
  3. Open Innovator davidatki.tumblr.com
  4. Projcomm group1 femiaboh.tumblr.com
  5. ProjComm2014 G1 Alex avbaum1994.tumblr.com
  6. Project Community raissa-commproj14.tumblr.com
  7. Untitled alianvarian.tumblr.com
Conversations
  • Paul { Love it!! Maybe you should design a folding business card too! } – Oct 31, 11:20 AM
  • Tomas { Hey Ronja, I think you did a great job on the important roles! something we should definitly use in our final advice! Great job 🙂 } – Oct 31, 11:13 AM
  • Laura { I especially like the reflection on the teamwork! } – Oct 31, 9:55 AM
  • Laura { Love your reflection on the video making! Hey, I just bought that same tea! You won't die.... glad to see you lov'in it 🙂 } – Oct 31, 9:45 AM
  • Milena { aahhh we all really feel like this I think 😀 ... maybe the teams for tiny houses can establish our own Project Communities Village above... } – Oct 30, 11:24 PM
  • »»
See all conversations...

Featuring Recent 10/2940 of Community Posts

Read more