NOTE: This is a full archive for the Project Community: You & The World (2014) please see the main site for the most up to date information.

Time to turn the PAGE

This is my last post, so okay, I confess to not always having a clear idea on what was going on with our NGO (PAGE). And I dare to say that this applies to my teammates as well. Because we were divided in small groups and everybody had a different task, none could really have all the information at all times. So, no, confusion never left this building. Sometimes it was like walking in the dark: there was movement, but was is in the right direction? Well, apparently yes, because, in this past week, light reached us; it was really rewarding to see how everything comes together and actually make some sense.

The end derivable for this course is a video for our client that should voice our advice for improvement. And what have we learned about expressing ourselves visually? Make our brand message recommendation clear for our customer.  How do we do that? Identify our sweet spot solution and communicate it properly.

First off, in order to identify our recommendations for PAGE we had to gather and start with clearing out everything in our project. We want to spare Liz of the confusiasm we shared (maybe let her experience only the enthusiasm part) so we organized our information and research into two linked solutions. Receiving feedback from Meggie facilitated this process, as she gave us a pretty important tip: don’t confuse the actions that we recommend PAGE to take with the tools that they should use to do it. Thus, the following are solutions:

• Digital volunteering – has both short and long-term benefits for the organization (for starters it raises awareness, builds networks and gets volunteers locally, but could develop into reaching a wider audience through digital internships and exchange programs) and for the girls (promotes digital literacy and self-development)
  • Getting technical equipment – so that they can establish the digital volunteering.

The reason why we recommend the focus on the local community and not to go big about it using crowdfunding is simply because currently this is the logical choice for our NGO; think of the ripple effect: it’s a broadening process, so it starts from the small circles and then expands. PAGE is targeting the same process, so, for now, it is one of the small circles, and thus crowdfunding does not make much sense here: it could help a little. But within the area there are three more universities besides Duke that PAGE can collaborate: namely more chances to raise awareness and make use of crowdsourcing. Moreover, starting local means that the process is sustainable because the new developed networks are easier to maintain.

Then, we searched for ways to express it. The organization we are promoting is about young girls and education; the audience we are targeting is still a young one, consisting of mostly university students. Taking this into consideration, we chose to do an animated video and to visualize our solutions through handmade cartoonish drawings. Now, there are a lot of professional ways of doing that, but due to lack of knowledge amongst our group in programs such as Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, etc. we have opted the traditional approach: the whiteboard! Unfortunately, we encountered some technical problems, such as the lack of a whiteboard that is big enough (the University is closed on the weekends and well that would have been a problem if we wouldn’t have finished filming on Friday). Fortunately, Danny remembered not long after that she has actually brought her graphic tablet with her from Bulgaria, just in case. So, being the case, we are now using her tablet!  Again, the downside here is that I had less than a day to get accustomed to drawing on something like this (to be mentioned that I have a sinuous relationship with technology); but there is also a good part! (Dizzy yet?) I just missed my night of sleep because I kind of like it! (Now I hope I am at least decent at it) So, following the same division of task approach, there are three teams working for our video: Danny and me are working on the visuals of the video, the technology steward in our group, Melvin, is in charge of the editing of the video, while Maira, Elle and Ava wrote the script. Should turn out right… right?

Till next time!  

Posted in Community, Group 8, Students
This post was originally published at the Project Community blog: Made in RO(xi)
Group 8 Blogs
  1. Blogging for Good (Journey of project communities) avacadomoore.tumblr.com
  2. E L L E mestellaslee.tumblr.com
  3. Laura Maron IDE maron-laura.tumblr.com
  4. Made in RO(xi) icrra.tumblr.com
  5. Maíra's Project Community blog intomairasworld.tumblr.com
  6. Pure Awesomeness in Dannyland dannys-design-world.tumblr.com
  7. THE PEOPLE AROUND US melvinputra.tumblr.com
Conversations
  • Paul { Love it!! Maybe you should design a folding business card too! } – Oct 31, 11:20 AM
  • Tomas { Hey Ronja, I think you did a great job on the important roles! something we should definitly use in our final advice! Great job 🙂 } – Oct 31, 11:13 AM
  • Laura { I especially like the reflection on the teamwork! } – Oct 31, 9:55 AM
  • Laura { Love your reflection on the video making! Hey, I just bought that same tea! You won't die.... glad to see you lov'in it 🙂 } – Oct 31, 9:45 AM
  • Milena { aahhh we all really feel like this I think 😀 ... maybe the teams for tiny houses can establish our own Project Communities Village above... } – Oct 30, 11:24 PM
  • »»
See all conversations...

Featuring Recent 10/2940 of Community Posts

Read more