NOTE: This is a full archive for the Project Community: You & The World (2014) please see the main site for the most up to date information.

Who want to help??

I can lie and tell you that I wrote this blog 3 weeks ago, like I should of done, but I’m going to be honest. I didn’t and I feel really stupid right now…

To refresh my memory I looked up crowdfunding and crowdsourcing again. I did this because I had no idea what they really mend or what the difference was. I’ve heard them come by once in a while. A start-up company is having a big event or doing something funny to raise money for their project, or websites like Kickstarter. I never really came in contact with them because I never had use of them. Now that I’m planning on becoming a designer I probably will. So a very good subject to reflect on.

Crowdsourcing is the process of obtaining needed services, ideas, or content by soliciting contributions from a large group of people, and especially from an online community, rather than from traditional employees or suppliers.

The personal blog reflection prompt sais ‘many designers have the inclination to “go it alone” and not seek the input of other designers or end users’ especially with crowdsourcing. I can see that point and a lot of times I am one of them. I’m a ‘bit’ stubborn and like to be left alone with my projects. But when you think of it, as a designer, you create things, hopefully things that other people can use and will buy. You have to keep your target group in mind if you want to become successful. You can think you have the most amazing designs and creations but if nobody will like it and/or buy them, what’s the use? With crowdsourcing you can have the opinions and input of others, your target group. And at the end you are in control and you decide what the final product will be.

Crowdfunding is the practice of funding a project or venture by raising monetary contributions from a large number of people, typically via the internet.

Crowdfunding is something completely different. Getting the money to produce your final product. With crowdsourcing I can’t really see any downsides, but with this I can. Designing a product and actually producing are 2 steps very far apart. And the gap is created by money, like almost every problem in this world… Getting the money is great, you can finally realise your dream. The downside of is that money almost never comes without any consequences. If people invest a lot of money in your project, they want something in return. A cut of the profit or a say in the final design. These are things you really have to think about before entering such an agreement.

Now let me take a look at Bouwquest, could Carl-Peter profit from either one of these options? Yes he could, but he doesn’t really need crowdfunding, he already has a working company and he is already active in a lot of crowdsourcing communities. Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, you name it. Come to think of it, I remember that we had some difficulty the week of this subject. We didn’t really know how to answer it for our NGO. We came to the conclusion that he needed to use the crowdsourcing communities more effectively, also one of the conclusions in our final video.

This week we also had a meeting with Carl-Peter and he completely changed our assignment. We went form morphological design to ‘make insulation sexy’, I know, what the ****!!

Insulations is not something you see, how the hell are you going to make it sexy was my first reaction. We had a lot of fun brainstorming about this idea, every commend and suggestion had a sexual content, we are all young, we can’t help it.

We have to think more in the line of this image;)

Well that’s it for the first catch up blog writing, on to the next.

See you in a hour!

Xx

Maartje

Posted in Community, Group BAM, Students
This post was originally published at the Project Community blog: Maartje..
Group BAM Blogs
  1. Christian's Innovation christian-yomed-perwira.tumblr.com
  2. Design Online by Stefan de oude. stefandeoude.tumblr.com
  3. It's my bubble chius-bubble.tumblr.com
  4. Maartje.. mrcortvriend.tumblr.com
  5. Project Adventures by E.Chrobacsinszky chrobi-e.tumblr.com
  6. Something's in Claire clairo111cho.tumblr.com
  7. Untitled blog-lina-things.tumblr.com
Conversations
  • Paul { Love it!! Maybe you should design a folding business card too! } – Oct 31, 11:20 AM
  • Tomas { Hey Ronja, I think you did a great job on the important roles! something we should definitly use in our final advice! Great job 🙂 } – Oct 31, 11:13 AM
  • Laura { I especially like the reflection on the teamwork! } – Oct 31, 9:55 AM
  • Laura { Love your reflection on the video making! Hey, I just bought that same tea! You won't die.... glad to see you lov'in it 🙂 } – Oct 31, 9:45 AM
  • Milena { aahhh we all really feel like this I think 😀 ... maybe the teams for tiny houses can establish our own Project Communities Village above... } – Oct 30, 11:24 PM
  • »»
See all conversations...

Featuring Recent 10/2940 of Community Posts

Read more